Whether you operate dump trucks, front loaders, box trucks, garbage trucks, or flatbed trucks, these vehicles are critical components of your company’s lifeline. If the trucking industry is your primary income generating avenue, you should invest in proper commercial truck insurance so that you have fewer worries and more time to focus on other aspects of your business.
Having the proper Houston Texas Commercial Truck Insurance is one of the major costs that will have a considerable influence on the bottom line of your trucking business. That is why it is critical that you understand what type of insurance you need, how much it costs, and who the best provider is.
In this article, we share recommend the top 6 providers of commercial truck insurance providers in Houston, Texas, as well as answers to frequently asked concerns concerning commercial truck insurance in Houston:
- Top 5 commercial truck insurance companies in Houston, Texas
- What is commercial truck insurance?
- Who needs commercial truck coverage in Houston, Texas?
- What commercial truck insurance covers in Houston, Texas
- What are the requirements for commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas?
- How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Houston, Texas?
- How can I find cheap commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas?
Top 6 commercial truck insurance companies in Houston, Texas
- Progressive: Best Overall
- Commercialinsurance.net: Best for a wide network of agents specializing in commercial truck insurance
- Hallmark: Best for oil and gas hauling businesses in Houston, Texas
- Great-West: Best service for trucking business in Houston, Texas
- National Casualty Company: Best for high-risk drivers in Houston, Texas
- CoverWallet: Best for comparing several commercial truck insurance quotes in Houston, Texas
Progressive: Best Overall
Progressive is the leading commercial vehicle insurer, providing commercial truck insurance in practically every state in the United States, including Houston, Texas. Whether you operate a trucking business or are an owner operator with one or several trucks, and are searching for truck insurance, Progressive may be the ideal alternative because it provides a wide range of car coverages like liability, comprehensive and collision, roadside assistance, and uninsured/underinsured policies. In addition to the core commercial truck primary liability insurance, Progressive also offers other optional trucking coverages such as non-trucking liability or bobtail insurance, physical damage coverage, cargo insurance. If you operate a garage, Progressive also offers garage keepers insurance or garage liability coverage.
Progressive is inexpensive since it offers a range of discounts and provides consumers with modern tools to obtain the cheapest prices. Progressive can cover whatever number of trucks your company has. They perform well in autos, motorbikes, and commercial vehicles… We mean “extremely profitable” when we say “excellent.”
Commercialinsurance.net: Best for a wide network of agents specializing in commercial truck insurance
Commercialinsurance.net is a national broker focused on small business insurance. Trucking business is one of their areas of specialization. Trucking business is complex and nuanced, and here is the main advantage of working with commercialinsurance.net because they partner with a wide network of agents who specialize in trucking business for decades. These agents are the experts in this industry.
Regardless how unique your trucking business situation is, you can count on commercialinsurance.net connecting you with an agent who has worked with clients like you for years or even decades. The expertise and experience will help you find the best coverages at the most affordable rates.
Hallmark: Best for oil and gas hauling businesses in Houston, Texas
Hallmark Financial Group owns Hallmark Personal Auto Insurance. Auto insurance is available in ten states across the continental United States, according to the company’s headquarters in Dallas, Texas. It has an A- grade from A.M. Best and is financially secure.
Their truck insurance may cover fleets of up to 500 vehicles, but it is designed exclusively for truck-for-hire and trucks transporting LPG, fuel oil, and gasoline.
Hallmark is the greatest option for people who prefer to interact with an independent agent rather than a firm directly.
Great-West: Best service for trucking business in Houston, Texas
“Trucking is our business… our only business,” Great-West proudly announces. Great West Casualty Company specializes in truck insurance products and services and has over 60 years of business expertise. For its business umbrella coverage, the company is regarded for providing excellent service, competitive prices, and flexible payment methods.
Their truckers and trucking companies-specific coverages include vehicle liability, physical damage, owner-operators, workers’ compensation, umbrella, and cargo. They also provide a few extra coverages like as auto cargo, bulk commodities carriers, freight brokers, and infidelity/dishonesty.
An online quotation is not available here, but you may request one by completing a form on their website, and a member of their staff will contact you.
National Casualty Company: Best for high-risk drivers in Houston, Texas
National Casualty Company is an Insurance Carriers company with insurance policies for airplanes, automobiles, boats, businesses, health, and homes. Nationwide Casualty Company was founded in 2004 as a subsidiary of Nationwide Insurance. They offer insurance coverage for trucking companies with high-risk drivers in areas around the United States.
CoverWallet: Best for comparing several commercial truck insurance quotes in Houston Texas
If you want to compare several quotes to choose the best and the cheapest one for your trucking business in Houston, Texas, you may want to start with CoverWallet. They are a broker specializing in small businesses. They work with several leading commercial truck insurance companies. As a broker, their main goal is to find you the best coverage at the most affordable price.
After you fill in their quote application online, they will be able to provide you with up to 3 quotes for your comparison. They usually can provide these quotes online. However, as trucking business is complicated, they might not be able to provide quotes online until they speak to you on the phone to verify a few details. After that, they will provide you with a few quotes on the phone for your choosing.
CoverWallet is a subsidiary of Aon, one of the top brokers in the world. They also earn a high customer satisfaction rating, A from BBB.
What is commercial truck insurance?
Commercial truck insurance is a collection of particular auto insurance plans tailored to the demands of trucking companies. It covers the usage of heavy vehicles such as trucks used to transport products from one location to another and construction equipment used for work or moving freight in the case of an accident.
These trucks enable enterprises to carry raw materials and finished goods more quickly. Due to continuous operation, which includes long-distance travel, the vehicles are subject to a variety of dangers, including accidents, natural disasters, and significant wear and tear, which can result in significant expenses. A comprehensive commercial truck insurance coverage ensures that the customer’s business continues to function smoothly.
Who needs commercial truck coverage in Houston, Texas?
Motor carriers, or trucking businesses, are required by Texas law to file proof for commercial automobile liability insurance for each registered vehicle. The bare minimum of coverage is determined by the kind of vehicle and cargo.
In general, commercial truck insurance is required for any truck to be on the road.
A bucket truck to a car used by an employee to get supplies is all examples of appropriate business vehicles. Personal motor insurance coverage will not cover losses incurred as a result of such usage, leaving you, the company owner, vulnerable. Commercial auto coverage will bridge the gap and provide you peace of mind.
What commercial truck insurance covers in Houston, Texas
Commercial truck insurance, like any other insurance policy, provides a choice of coverage options. Some of the more common coverages are as follows:
- Auto liability insurance: pays for personal injuries and property damages if you are found to be at-fault in an accident. It also pays for legal costs if you are sued when you are involved in an accident.
- Collision coverage: This will pay to repair or replace your truck if it is damaged in an accident.
- Medical payment coverage: This will pay for medical costs for yourself and your passengers if you and they are injured in an accident. This also covers the medical costs for passenger who is the owner of the car that you are towing.
- Uninsured/ Underinsured: This will pay for your personal injuries and your passengers’ injuries and property damages if you are involved in an accident caused by a uninsured or under-insured drivers or in a hit-and-run accident.
- Comprehensive coverage: This will pay to repair or replace your truck if its damages are caused by an incident that is not collision, such as theft, fire, falling objects, or caused by animals.
What are the requirements for commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas?
Local truckers and new businesses in Texas are required by law to have a specified amount of liability insurance. The amount you require is dependent on the nature of freight you transport and the location where you haul it. If you do not cross state borders and your truck is greater than GVW, you must obtain a TXDMV number and maintain the following minimum liability insurance:
|$300,000||Liability Insurance (Household Goods)|
|$500,000||Liability Insurance (General Freight)|
|$1,000,000||Liability Insurance (Oil Transport)|
|$5,000,000||Liability Insurance (Hazmat)|
|$5,000/vehicle and $10,000/catastrophe||Cargo Insurance (Intrastate household goods movers and interstate contract carriers)|
Keep in mind that these are the absolute basic minimums. Regardless of the sort of cargo you carry, many shippers and brokers need you to have a liability limit of at least $1,000,000 in place.
Other insurance requirements for interstate truckers include
- Cargo Insurance: protects the products transported in your trailer. Even though it is not mandated by the FMCSA, for-hire interstate owner-operators need it regardless since most shippers will refuse to do business with an O/O who does not have cargo insurance. The standard cargo insurance maximum is $100,000, although this amount might vary depending on the sort of item you transport.
- Bobtail insurance: You are not needed to obtain bobtail insurance if you are an owner-operator with main motor liability insurance. However, if you are leased to a motor carrier and are operating under their authorization, you may require bobtail insurance. The coverages for which you are accountable will be specified in your leasing agreement.
- Physical Damage: If you finance your truck, you must get Physical Damage Insurance, which covers your own tractor or trailer in the event of a traffic accident. Even if you own your truck entirely, it’s always a good idea to carry insurance because a single mishap may turn into a financial nightmare.
How much does commercial truck insurance cost in Houston, Texas?
Commercial truck insurance cost varies depending on several factors such as the type of truck, location, operating radius, the type of cargo, and the driving record of the drivers, etc. The average cost of commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas for small company owners is $13,606.
The majority of premiums rates vary from $11,540 to $15,546 for an experienced driver who has at least of 2 years of experience driving trucks. New truck drivers in Houston, Texas will pay a lot more, up to 3 times of what experienced drivers pay. Learn more at the best commercial truck insurance for new drivers.
Different companies will give your different commercial truck insurance quotes. Be sure to shop around with a few companies to compare several quotes before making your final decision
How can I find cheap commercial truck insurance in Houston, Texas?
Commercial truck insurance may be outrageously costly due to its high risk and huge weight. Here’s how to locate low-cost commercial truck insurance in Houston.
- Get estimates from many insurers so that you can make an informed decision.
- Premiums rise when you have gaps in your insurance, so try to remain consistent.
- Finally, take advantage of discounts, which are frequently associated with bundle purchases. You may also inquire about discounts that are available at the time of your purchase.
Learn more at the cheapest commercial truck insurance companies.